The 2-3 season Skaha zip neck pullover, featuring a full set of custom options including hood, pockets and fill quantities.
The Classic Skaha configuration presents an excellent balance of function and acceptable light weight.
This product is no longer in stock
Go here for more about these Performance categories.
The Skaha is a 2-3 season, fully baffled box construction zip neck sweater optimally filled with our 900FP goose down. For folks wishing to extend the use of the Skaha into colder seasons we offer 3 additional levels of down fill boost. Please see menu choices below.
Use the Skaha as a stand alone 'almost' down jacket, or under a shell when the conditions are rough. With the right size chosen, the fit is roomy with the capacity of accepting the layering often needed in the backcountry, especially compared to the popular form fitting, quilted down jackets.
At night the Skaha can serve double duty boosting the temperature rating of your ultralight quilt, thus saving on weight otherwise invested in redundant insulation. With the optional hood, this jacket is especially handy at this.
We build the Skaha with simplicity as the overriding design parameter. In its standard configuration it has no extras, zero bells and whistles, nothing to snag or break or get in the way of traveling light and fast. What you do get is maximum warmth for the given weight, and a clean looking, functional garment.
The standard front closure is a YKK #3 pullover style half zipper. Pro and cons outlined in the next paragraph.
The options for pockets on the Skaha Classic includes the hand warmer 'muff' style exterior pocket. Not limited by a full length front zipper, this is one large pocket accessed from both sides.
Also on the menu is the option to add interior zippered chest pockets.
We make the Skaha both with or without a hood. The Hoodie version features an integrated standard sized insulated hood, not readily helmet compatible.
Hood and bottom hem are controlled by shockcord and toggle.
The sleeve ends can be done in a number of different ways. See menu choices below.
Why the unusual pullover style half zipper design?
* Warmer. While probably marginal, it can't be discounted that more continuous insulation is more thermally efficient.
* Lighter. This is always good. A little here, a little there. The half zipper, as explained below, is less prone to failure - so a lighter gauge can used.
* Durable. Most zipper eventually fail. When it happens it is often in the area right where people struggle to reconnect the two halves. Wear, misalignment, hamfisting the delicate parts, they all contribute. And when it finally won't zip anymore, there's not much utility left in the garment. The Skaha half zipper don't separate, so the wear is minimal, thus longevity is boosted. And should it give in, the jacket is still very useful.
* Handling in wind. Cresting a pass in a stiff breeze, one wants to get the puffy on quick. A completely unzipped jacket is a struggle in these conditions. Not the Skaha. You will be toasty before your partner has even located the flapping ends of a unruly full front zipper.
* Thru pocket design. No zipper on the lower half gives us the freedom to design a tunnel thru muff-style pocket that is superior for hand warming and cozy camp time loitering.
* Bulky. Roomier cut is necessary to be able to put the thing on. To make it simple to slip on the fit cannot be body hugging. But it's debatable if you even want that in the backcountry.
* That's it.
Do we do the Skaha with a full zipper on a custom basis? Yes, but reluctantly. Many little details have to be redesigned for it to work and that's expensive. If you want the full zip, but in a lighter Skaha style package, please consider using our Kobuk Parka or Hoodie as the basis for such a project. Contact us!
The Skaha Classic is insulated with 900 fill power white goose down, available in regular untreated or moisture resistant Hyper-Dry down. We recommend selecting the latter for garments, at the expense of a little extra bulk. Both options are RDS certified and responsibly sourced down from ethically committed harvesters.
The Classic Skaha configuration is available with a choice of light and/or durable shell fabrics.
The 1.0 ounce per square yard materials (Quantum, Argon) are towards the light end of the spectrum. These fabrics are our most popular jacket shell materials, hitting an almost perfect spot in the balancing game of weight, performance and durability. Colors offered currently are black, sage green and purple.
Epic is Nunatak's most durable shell, and easily the best choice in circumstances where the jacket is worn in brush or tight rocky places. In addition the Epic has improved water shedding abilities. The drawback is added weight and bulk, as seen in the chart below. Black and pale orange are the colors.
A fairly accurate depiction of the fill weight is in the main chart below. The total weights are representative of the options available for this product: All shell types in combination with the standard taffeta liner, integrated hood and front pocket, standard sleeve ends, no overfill, etc.
The chart below outlines the many options for sizing the Skaha Classic. Since these are built to order we saw no reason to limit the choices. 8 general sizes can be combined with custom 4 each sleeve and back lengths. Have at it!
|Temperature Rating||2 Season|
|Baffle height||0.75 inches|
|Fill Weight, size Medium||5.6 oz|
|Total Weight, 1.0 oz/sq. yd shell, size Medium, incl. Hood and Pocket||12.2 oz|
|Total Weight, Epic shell, size Medium, incl. Hood and Pocket||13.8 oz|
|Zipper||Pullover style half-zip, YKK # 3 Coil. 12" sizes XS and S, 14" size M, 16" sizes L and XL|
|Waist hem finish||Shock cord and center toggle|
|Sleeve end finish (cuff)||Overfilled last baffle creates minimal seal|
|Exterior Pockets||Optional handwarmer tunnel 'muff'|